For any reason, You may want to find out whether your hard drive is SSD or HDD. Because it saves all of the data that the CPU processes, the hard disc is an essential component of a computer. Suppose you bought a new computer or hard drive and you might be wondering if your hard drive is an SSD drive or a standard HDD. Let’s learn how to Check If Your Hard Drive is SSD or HDD in Windows 11 through three methods.
Hard drives are available in a range of sizes and forms. Hard disc drives (HDD) were the first hard drives, and they are still commonly used today due to their lower cost than other options. Solid State Drives (SSDs) are a newer type of hard disc that is more expensive than standard hard drives but much faster.
What are the Differences Between SSD and HDD Hard Drives?
HDD stands for Hard Disk Drive. In today’s world, they’d be considered old school. They have platters and a moving actuator arm that can read and write data on the surface of the platters. This explains why an HDD makes a noise. They are sluggish and require defragmentation on a regular basis to optimize data placement. Because hard discs have moving parts, they all fail at some point.
SSD stands for Solid State Drive. They are substantially faster than typical HDDs because they use integrated circuit assemblies as memory to store data persistently. It is not rare for computers to boot in less than 10 seconds. SanDisk’s 20MB SSD disc cost $1,000 when it was debuted in 1991. Many individuals used to buy a smaller (128MB, for example) SSD merely to run their operating system and preferred programs because SSD drives were so expensive in recent times. In 2018, SSD drives grew in size and affordability, with 1TB drives costing only $100. SSD drives do not require defragmentation; instead, they use TRIM, which instructs the SSD disc to remove data blocks that are no longer in use. TRIM can help SSDs last longer and perform better. The verdict on how long SSD drives endure is yet out, although we’ve been using the same discs for several years.
How to Check if your Hard Drive is SSD or HDD in windows 11
Here are three different methods for determining whether your drive is SSD or HDD in Windows 11.
Method 1: Check your Hard Drive If it’s SSD or HDD Via Disk Defragmenter
- Press Windows key + R on your keyboard to open Run and then type dfrgui in the search box then click Ok.
- When the Disk Defragmenter window is opened look at the Media type column and you can figure out which of your drive is a solid-state drive (SSD), and which one is a hard disk drive (HDD).
Method 2: Check your Hard Drive, it’s SSD or HDD Via File Explorer.
- Open the File Explorer. Press Windows key + E to open FE directly.
- Go to This PC Folder and Right-click on any drive and select Properties. If you don’t see Properties, simply click Show more options and select Properties.
- Go to the Tools tab and click on Optimize under Optimize and defragment drive.
- Here, check the Media type column. It shows the drive type for each of the installed drives. It’s a Hard disk drive (HDD) in my case.
Method 3: Check If You Have SSD or HDD using the Task Manager.
- Right-click on Start Menu and select Task Manager or press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open directly.
- Click on More details.
- Click on the Performance tab and here you’ll see whether your Hard Drive is SSD or HDD.
That’s how you can check if your hard drive is SSD or HDD in Windows 11 through three different ways.